Monday, May 9, 2011

Nutrition - Pro Oats

After my 6 mile jog down to Oak Park, I ran into a convenience store for some water and a banana. Hidden in the corner, I saw Pro Oats. It caught my eye because one of the meal options in the Elite Nutrition guide for Insanity included a "pro oatmeal" which has you add whey protein. Pro Oats already has the whey protein in it, so that cut out step number 1.

Pro Oats
I followed the instructions on the bag to mix 1/3 cup of oatmeal with water and added a "splash" of soy milk. This tasted pretty bland and was not all that. The next time I had it, I mixed closer to 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of soy milk, added a dash of cinnamon and a bit of salt. This was much more satisfying. I guesstimate my recipe was about 450-500 calories while the original recipe would be closer to 300. My math is awful and I am not a nutritionist, so don't quote me on that!

The bag cost me $5 and has about 7 servings. That's not too bad considering what's in it. It also comes in a peach flavor. I'm not sure whether I'd buy it again because it is almost like an instant oatmeal - finely chopped. I will have to try out making old fashioned oatmeal and adding my own whey protein to compare before I declare a winner. BUT, this was definitely an interesting find.

If you're curious as to what soy milk I buy, I only ever get Pearl Organic Soymilk by Kikkoman. It tastes AWESOME! It's way better than Silk or those other imitators and hators. Jewel used to carry it without fail until recently. It may be easier to find at local produce marts. I like the creamy vanilla flavor. There is also chocolate (it's ok), green tea (looks pretty gross and tastes a bit weird), and original (it's ok). If you've tried soy milk and hate it, try Pearl just one time. Do it for me! It might change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment